AROWHON AFTERNOON BUTTERMILK SCONES
Of course these delicious scones always taste better on the Arowhon verandah with a pot of our homemade jam! Or after a sweaty canoe trip to Burnt Island Lake and back! Bon Appetit!
3 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp salt
6 oz butter, unsalted, cold, cut into small pieces
1 TB grated orange or lemon zest
¾ cups small plump currants
¼ cup cranberries
1 cup buttermilk
2 oz butter, unsalted, melted, for brushing
¼ cup vanilla scented sugar, for dusting.
- Position the oven racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat to 425 deg (or 350 degree fan high in convection oven)
- Stir dry ingredients together in medium bowl.
- Work in butter using fingertips, pastry blender or 2 knives, until mixture resembles coarse oatmeal.
- Pour in buttermilk, add zest and dried fruit and mix with fork until ingredients are just moistened - you'll have a soft dough with a rough look. Don't overmix!!
- If it looks too dry, add 1 T buttermilk and knead briefly for about 12 turns.
- Drop dough - 1 Tablespoon very heaped - on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Brush with ½ melted butter amount, sprinkle with 2 T sugar.
- Bake 6-8 minutes, until tops & bottoms are golden.
- Transfer to racks to cool slightly.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
Let us know how they turn out!