Wednesday, March 18, 2015

From the Kitchen


After 38 years of standing in kitchens, I am enjoying a semester at Algonquin College in Ottawa, teaching Cooking Class 080.  The students and I, we started in January, have cooked lunch together every Monday and Friday, at Restaurant International at the Woodroffe campus.

For many of these students, this is their first time in a professional kitchen and their first practical semester!  It has been great fun watching the progress made.  Each service is better than the one before, and I feel proud that some of the knowledge I have managed to pass on will help these students thrive in a trade that has always been good to me – and employs thousands of new cooks every year.

I’ve also learned the importance of patience and clear communication – and by teaching, I will become a better chef myself!

The snow is starting to melt, and the kitchen renovations have gotten to the point where the vision is reality, and I can't wait to see it humming with action.

See you soon!

Sincerely,
David Cooke

No comments:

Post a Comment